Fried rice is a comfort meal for me. My mom used to make this, Arroz Chino, often, so I thought it was a Puerto Rican dish. The great thing about Fried Rice is that you can use whatever veggies you have in your kitchen. Even frozen ones! (I buy the huge bags of organic veggies at Costco.) And throw in any protein you have: leftover roast chicken, shrimp, scallops (that’s what I used for the picture), or just double up on the eggs.
Also, when I make rice, I make a big batch and freeze leftovers. That makes meals like this a breeze on weeknights. What are your favorite combos for Fried Rice?
Quick Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined small shrimp
- unrefined salt
- 8 scallions, whites chopped, greens thinly sliced, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms (baby bella), chopped
- 2-3 cups cold, cooked rice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season shrimp with salt and cook, turning once, until just opaque in the center, 3 or 4 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet. Add scallion whites, garlic, ginger, carrots, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook about 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Add rice and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Push rice to one side of skillet and add remaining tablespoon of oil to the other side. Add beaten eggs and scramble. Mix eggs into rice.
Mix tamari, toasted sesame oil and cooked shrimp into rice. Serve and top with scallion greens.
Check out our favorite kitchen essentials: Real Food Kitchen Tools
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, your cost will be the same but Must Love Real Food will receive a small commission. We appreciate your support!