I am in love with my slow cooker! It usually comes in handy on school nights and Sunday afternoons, but I’ve also found my slow cooker to be especially helpful during summer. After a long day at the pool or the park, it’s nice to come home to a ready made dinner!
Beef stroganoff is a family fave in our house, and this recipe is a real timesaver any day of the year!
*Steps 2-6 include an awesome recipe for making an alternative (and preservative free) version of condensed cream soups.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound stew meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- unrefined salt and pepper to taste
1. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and stew meat to slow cooker.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
4. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup beef broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
5. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
6. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
Steps 2-6 Can be used in place of condensed cream soups, and this cream soup base can be varied by using chicken or vegetable broth, sauteéd chopped celery, celery seed, or sauteéd chopped mushrooms. Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired.
7. Add cream soup base and remaining 1/2 cup beef broth to slow cooker and mix all ingredients together.
8. Cook on low for 6 hrs.
9. Just before serving, stir in sour cream and cream cheese.
10. Serve over your choice of pasta, rice, or baked potato. If you’re looking for a low carb meal, this dish would be delicious served over broccoli or all by itself. Enjoy!